Admission to Red Deer Hospice
What are the admission criteria for Red Deer Hospice?
Our Hospice is a short-term facility that provides end-of-life care for those who:
- Have a life ending condition or disease
- Require end-of-life care and who do not want measures taken to prolong life,
- Wish to focus on comfort treatment and for whom active curative treatment has been discontinued, and
- Have been assessed by Hospice as to eligibility criteria.
How does the Red Deer Hospice prioritize those waiting for admission?
Once it is established that an individual meets admission criteria, priority is given in this order:
- To individuals for whom home care support services are no longer sufficient
- To individuals in hospital
- To individuals where respite care is needed, if space is available
When is it time to bring someone to Hospice?
It is time for hospice when:
- The individual is seeking end-of-life comfort care with no extraordinary measures,
- The individual and/or family cannot manage at home or do not plan a home death, and
- The individual and/or family do not want hospitalization.
I am interested to learn more. Who can I contact?
If you are interested in a tour of our Hospice, or would like to learn more about our admission process, please contact our Executive Director or Nurse Manager: